Monday, May 7, 2007

Another Update

We have some new updates to post today.

Baby Ellinger now has a name. We have decided to name him Mason Tyler Ellinger. We had it narrowed down to a few names and picked Mason because it has a special link to San Francisco.

We also had an appointment with a neonatologist today to discuss the next steps if something were to go wrong on Thursday and they would have to deliver him. It is only to be prepared for an emergency situation. We have been informed that the chances of something going wrong to cause an emergence delivery is low. Even so, a plan must be in place. The doctor we spoke with would be the one in charge of the team of people who would be treating any baby born with CDH this week. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what the outcome would be if he needs to be delivered Thursday. The initial plan would try to stabilize him, most likely with a ventilator. If he is stable, then he will be transferred to the intensive care unit to begin treatment and eventually surgery. If they cannot stabilize him (if the lungs are still to underdeveloped to support him), then he will be given a sedative and a pain killer and then we will be given a private area to give him the love that he needs while he passes. At this point, he would be too small to be considered an ECMO candidate.

In an effort to help his lung maturity I was given a shot of Betamethasone. This is often given to Moms that are at risk to deliver a preterm baby for organ and lung development. I will receive another shot tomorrow. It is important to note that this will not "grow" the lungs any further, only help mature them so that hopefully he can use what he has with the assistance of a ventilator.

To complicate things even further, my body has decided to catch a cold this week. As long as I don't develop a bad cough, this will not affect the surgery. It will just be tough on me to go through surgery and recovery while having a cold at the same time. Right now I am just trying to rest and drink a lot of fluids.

We probably won't be posting any more updates until after the procedure on Thursday. Thanks again to everyone who has been praying for us, sending care packages, cards, encouraging e-mails and posts to this website. We are hoping that we will be able to return home soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers will be with the three of you this week.

Unknown said...

I will be thinking of you, Travis, and Mason.


(Btw, both of my brothers have Mason as a middle name. :)

Anonymous said...

We've never met, but your story has touched me in such a way that I wanted to "e-personally" forward my thoughts and prayers to all of you. I work with Fran Yee and when she told me about baby Mason's lung condition and your subsequent surgery, I asked her to share with me your blog.

I have two young children of my own and yes, there’ve been some tough times, but nothing as challenging as what you guys are going though. I so admire your strength and resilience - your spirit of hope that Mason will be a fighter.

So when you undergo surgery tomorrow, know that your family, friends, (and virtual strangers!) are crossing their fingers and praying for the best.

Take care... all three of you!
Tina Collison